Captains Newsletter October 2019
I find it hard to realise that my year as Captain is nearly over, it has been an honour to be the Captain of our great club.
Can I ask you mark your diaries for upcoming events at the club?
1st November's night golf has been well received, there are still places available, please contact the club to join in the fun.
Our Christmas Dance is to be held on 7th December details are on the noticeboard.
Vice Captain Ronnie has plans well advanced for the Burns Supper on 31st January. Speakers and performers are organised. The evening is open to all members and I am looking forward to a great night.
We had our last committee meeting on Monday, and I would like to update you all on what is planned over the winter months.
Install drainage to 5th and 14th greens
Renovate bunkers at 5th and 11th greens with AstroTurf and hopefully bunkers at 2nd, 8th and 15th
Repair timber steps at 1st, 10th and 16th tees
Install new stile at 16th
Vertidrain greens, tees and aprons
Repair path at ladies 18th tee
Apply sand dressing to 2nd, 6th,14th and 16th fairways
Gravel band lower part of 14th fairway
Contractor to manage trees at 3rd, 6th,16th and 17th
Improvements are planned for the bar area.Behind the bar has been largely ignored in the past, so it is felt that it needs smartening up.
We are to investigate putting a pool table in the area where the score entry screen is.
We are looking to source a larger television for the main lounge.
Recently the Professional and the Match and Handicap Secretary, invited me, Vice-Captain Ronnie and Club Manager Bill to discuss a number of areas around competitions and BRS/HDID.
There were a few things that will require further discussion;however, the following was agreed.
1. One competition a month will be moved from Saturdayto Sunday booking through HDID
2. The 36-hole Cathkin Braes Trophy will be played over2 Saturdays in 2020. The 2nd round will be drawn based on the scores in the first round, leaders teeing off last.
3. Mixed Invitational Day (old Ladies Day) in 2020 will be a mixed pairs event, open to all categories, with guests allowed.
4. Midweek competitions are to be curtailed,wherever possible, to allow Greens more time to work on the course.
5. There was a discussion around booking of tee times on BRS.
a. Can members please cancel unwanted time as early as possible? This is an obvious courtesy to the starter and other members.
b. When booking a time, where possible detail the names of the other members you are playing with.
c. If playing in a sweep, please try not to overbook times for the sweep.
d. On a trial basis it is intended to allow 4 balls to play in certain competitions, more details to follow from Match and Handicap Secretary.
e. Monthly balloted medals and competitions will run on HDID until 2pm instead of 3pm. Members can still play in these competitions by booking times after 2pm via BRS or in the Professional's shop.
6. If members are aware, they will arrive at the course after the Professional's shop will be closed, but still wish to play ina competition, then they can phone the shop in advance to book in. Members must be aware, in this circumstance that they will go up 0.1 if they do not subsequently submit a score card.
7. Members attention is drawn to the sign at the 2nd hole regarding it being a "Call on Hole" When you reach the green, please ensure that you stand aside to allow the game behind to drive.
8. Members attention is also drawn to the sign on the 9th tee. Please do not drive when the 11th green is in use. There has been at least 1 near miss this season. Greens staff are arranging to have a signal flag positioned at the 11th green, more details to follow regarding this.
9. The other sign to mention is at the 14th.Please wait for the game ahead to reach the 15th tee, before playing your approach shots to the 14th green. Please don't walk over the ditch until the game on 15th has teed off.
10. Please also pay attention to roped off areas.Trolleys should not be taken between the 2nd tee and 1st green. They should also not be taken up to beside the 11th green and the path to the 12th tee.
11. When playing from the 10th yellow tee, for safety reasons, please stand to the medal tee side of the tee when your playing partners are teeing off.
12. It was suggested that we have a Club Finals day in September when the finals of all the Club knockout competitions could be held. We will discuss this with the Ladies, Tuesday and Seniors sections and let members know what is agreed. Likely format would be to play these matches on a Saturday afternoon, and follow up with a function of some sort.
Next stop AGM on 2nd December, if you are interested in helping the club by serving on the Committee, please add your name to the sheet on the notice board.